Oral Pathology Services
Oral Pathology Services is accepting new patients.
The accurate and early diagnosis of oral disease is the cornerstone of effective and comprehensive dental care. At Tufts Oral Pathology Services, that is precisely what our expert oral and maxillofacial pathologists help dentists and physicians offer patients.
Tufts Oral Pathology Services is a full-service oral pathology laboratory at Tufts University School of Dental Medicine. Our services are provided by leading oral pathologists on the faculty of the dental school. In addition to providing laboratory services to dentists and physicians, Dr. Mark Lerman offers in-person evaluations for patients with oral disease.
On this page find out more about our comprehensive services, continuing education, why you should choose Tufts Oral Pathology Services, and our highly skilled pathologists.
Our board-certified pathologists have extensive expertise in the field of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, are on the faculty of Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, hold leadership roles in academic and national dental organizations, and are widely published in medical and dental peer-reviewed journals.
Mark A. Lerman, D.M.D.
Tanya A. Wright, D.D.S.
Nora M.V. Laver, M.D.
Why Choose Us
We process and analyze your patients’ specimens using state-of-the-art equipment and procedures. Our primary focus is histopathologic analysis of biopsy specimens. We provide soft and hard tissue hematoxylin and eosin evaluation and special studies, including histochemistry, immunohistochemistry, and in situ hybridization, when indicated. We also evaluate immunofluorescence and liquid cytology specimens. In addition, Dr. Mark Lerman offers in-person evaluations for patients with oral disease.
Exceptional Oral Pathologists
Our pathologists have extensive expertise in the field of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology.
- We are on the faculty of Tufts University School of Dental Medicine.
- We are board-certified Diplomates of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology or American Board of Pathology.
- We hold leadership roles in academic and national dentistry organizations.
- We are widely published in prominent peer-reviewed journals.
Fast & Convenient Service
Our practice is committed to making submitting specimens to us as easy and convenient as possible. We provide:
- Complimentary biopsy, immunofluorescence, and cytology kits that you can request by email (TOPS@Tufts.edu), phone (866-670-8677), or fax (617-636-6780) or online.
- Pre-paid local and nationwide courier pickup of specimens via FedEx
- One-day turnaround for routine biopsy cases from the time we receive your specimen to when we fax or mail you the pathology report
- Direct billing to your patients’ medical insurance (self-pay patients also accepted)
Accurate & Thorough Reports
Along with our expert final diagnosis, our detailed pathology reports include photomicrographic imaging, gross and microscopic descriptions, and corresponding current ICD codes for insurance claims. For challenging diagnoses, we also will call you to discuss the diagnosis and implications for patient management.