TUSDM Career Services aims to educate and prepare its students and alumni for the dental profession. The office also interacts with alumni and employers to provide career opportunities and information to current students.
Networking and Alumni Connections: Career Connect!
The Career Connect platform, in collaboration with the Development and Alumni Engagement office, lets students directly connect with TUSDM alumni, practice their networking skills, and get questions answered from those who have once been in their shoes. Alumni can also easily interact with each other! Users create their own profiles and share their interests in the professional field, resulting in the platform suggesting connections and assisting in facilitating conversations.
Additional information about student and alumni participation can be found by visiting the TUSDM Career Connect platform.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Job Searching: Handshake!
TUSDM has transitioned to a new, comprehensive job-posting platform called Handshake. Handshake is a recruiting platform, connecting students and alumni to employers for jobs and career events. Please visit the Handshake website.
Students, sign in with your Tufts ID and password. You can search hundreds of internships and jobs, set up search agents using custom criteria, upload your resume for employers to view, apply to positions, and view career resources. Use the labels feature to filter positions related to Tufts Dental, Tufts Dental Alumni, and Tufts Dental Practices for Sale.
Alumni, create an account with the email address of your choice. Your account will be approved within 48 hours after verification of alumni status. You will be able to search hundreds of internships and jobs, set up search agents using custom criteria, upload your resume for employers to view, and view career resources. Use the labels feature to filter positions related to Tufts Dental, Tufts Dental Alumni, and Tufts Dental Practices for Sale.
Employers, if you are already a Handshake user please add Tufts University to your list of schools for approval. If you are new to Handshake, it is a very easy sign-up process and you can join by clicking “sign up here” on the top right of the page.
Employer sign-up tips:
- Must have completed Employer Contact Information on employer profile:
- Website (Must be a fully functioning and built out company domain, Must be in English/have an English counterpart, All information on website must match Handshake profile, Must not link to a social media site)
- Phone (Must be able to verify that phone number is associated with organization)
- E-Mail (Email must be registered to company domain, not personal)
- Address (Must be full street address, we need to be able to verify that the organization is physically at that location, Must not be residential, Must not be PO Box, if applicable include floor and/or suite number)
- At least one staff member whose email contact information is not a generic inbox and must have company domain (No @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, @aol.com, etc.)
- Notification on what types of positions you are hiring for if there is not a jobs/careers page on website
- If third-party recruiter, all staff must identify as so and please see our third-party recruiter guidelines
According to university guidelines, Tufts University does not post jobs for third-party agencies unless:
- The name of the hiring organization is clearly stated in the job title and description OR
- The job is an internal position within the staffing agency
- If a position is internal, please state within the posting and if it is for a third party please identity the third party.
For more information on creating a Handshake account, you can see more tips HERE.
More About Career Services
The Tufts University School of Dental Medicine Career Services Office aims to prepare dental students for entering the professional field. Read more about how students are supported through the office, below, and review relevant documents in the Career Resources box.
Develop: The office assists with document review (e.g., resume, CV, cover letter), interview preparation, and job-searching skills needed to enter or advance within the profession. Please see the Career Resources documents provided in the blue box. Schedule a meeting anytime with Maggie McMorrow, Assistant Director of Student Affairs and Career Services, to discuss any of these career materials!
Employ: Career Services manages Handshake, a free online career-management system available exclusively to TUSDM students and alumni to assist in their job search. With this resource, applicants can look for job postings and practices for sale, while alumni can also recruit for openings.
Network: Students will have the opportunity to connect with alumni and employers to gain a better sense of the job market at events, such as the annual Spring Career Fair and Lunch and Learns, and through Career Connect, our online platform that directly connects students and alumni.
Transition: The office provides guidance to students as they transition from dental students to healthcare professionals, including resources for the various licensure examinations and information on licensing and limited licensing by state.
Advise: Staff is available to meet individually with students and alumni to discuss their career goals and the best steps to attain them. See contact information, below!
Learn: Students still determining their career path will have the opportunity to learn about various career options and possibilities available to them. Reach out if you have any ideas for career programming!
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
Career Services Office, 15th Floor, Suite 1511
1 Kneeland Street
Boston, MA 02111