For patients who have acute pain, swelling, and urgent dental needs, Tufts Dental School has a walk-in Emergency Dental Clinic that sees patients on a first-come, first-served basis. The Emergency Clinic reserves the right to prioritize the order in which patients are admitted to the clinic in certain situations.
Visitors and Guests Policy
For the safety of all parties involved in patient appointments:
- Children and guests are not allowed in the operatory during the appointment.
- Children cannot be left unattended anywhere in the building.
Please plan your visit accordingly, and thank you for your cooperation.
There is an initial fee of $150 to $200, which covers the emergency diagnostic exam and the work that is done to temporarily relieve pain. If you need to have a tooth extracted, there will be additional fees, which will vary depending on the tooth location and the difficulty of the extraction.
Notice for Current Patients
To avoid unnecessary fees, current patients of Tufts Dental School in need of urgent dental care should call their current provider directly. During non-business hours please call Tufts Medical Center at (617) 636-5000.
Tufts Emergency Dental Clinic is open for two sessions each business day: a morning session from 9 to 10:30 a.m. and an afternoon session from 1 to 2:30 p.m. We recommend that patients arrive early because the Emergency Clinic sometimes fills to capacity due to high demand. The Emergency Clinic is especially busy on Mondays and the days after holidays.
When Tufts Emergency Dental Clinic is closed (e.g., nights, weekends, and holidays), emergency services may be obtained by calling Tufts Medical Center at (617) 636-5000 and asking for “Emergency Dental Care.” (Note: Tufts Medical Center’s hours and fees are not the same as Tufts Emergency Dental Clinic’s hours and fees.)
The Emergency Dental Clinic is closed on the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day - January 1*
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day - third Monday in January
- President’s Day - third Monday in February
- Patriots' Day - third Monday in April
- Memorial Day - last Monday in May
- Independence Day - July 4*
- Labor Day - first Monday in September
- Columbus Day - second Monday in October
- Veteran’s Day - November 11
- Thanksgiving Day - fourth Thursday in November
- Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve - December 24**
- Christmas Day - December 25**
* When these days fall on a Sunday, the holiday will be observed on the following Monday; when they fall on a Saturday, the holiday will be observed on the previous Friday; Tufts Dental School and the Emergency Dental Clinic will be closed on these days.
** When Christmas Eve and Christmas Day both fall on a weekday, both days will be holidays; Tufts Dental School and the Emergency Dental Clinic will be closed on these days.