Each year Tufts University School of Dental Medicine holds the Bates-Andrews Reseach Day to honor George A. Bates, an alumnus who taught Tufts medical and dental students. The student research societies sponsor “Bates Day” annually, and it features
- Student table clinics showcasing research conducted during the preceding year
- Commercial exhibitor displays
- Student and faculty photography and arts & crafts exhibitions
Bates-Andrews Reseacrh Day gives students an opportunity to share their accomplishments in fields of special interest with the rest of the Tufts community. Since the 1930′s Bates Day has promoted student research and thereby enhanced the opportunities for professional growth of students, alumni and faculty.
Faculty members judge student presentations and several prizes are awarded as described below.
- 1st place (1st, 2nd, or 3rd year dental students): ADA/Dentsply Student Clinician Program Award for Best Overall Predoctoral Table Clinic (winner will present at the annual ADA convention)
- 2nd and 3rd place (1st, 2nd, or 3rd year dental students) students will present at the annual Greater New York or other regional meeting, and receive $100
- 4th year dental students: Andrews Society Award for the Best Scientific Research Presentation by a Senior (winner receives $100)
- Postgraduate students: Bates Society Award for Best Postgraduate Table Clinic (winner receives $100)
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Research Award for Public Health Research (the award is for $1500 to be used to fund that student’s summer research project)
- Bates Day OKU Award (OKU faculty vote to award a deserving student presenter $200)
- Proctor & Gamble Travelling Fellowship Award ($1500 to help defray costs to the annual American Association of Dental Research meeting – student must already have his/her abstract accepted by the AADR)
All students who received Student Summer Research Fellowships from Tufts University School of Dental Medicine are required to present at Bates Day. Graduate students and students who did research at other institutions are encouraged to participate.