Hands On Course – Class Size Limited
CONSTANTINOS LASKARIDES, DMD, DDS, PHARM.D. Associate Professor, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
We are proud to offer a university-based course so that eligible dentists can receive expert instruction in the use of botulinum toxin and dermal fillers for facial cosmetics. Participants will practice these techniques in cadavers and specially designed simulation heads. Ultimately there will be live patient care treatment in TUSDM’s state-of-the-art clinics under expert supervision.
Today’s practitioners have multiple choices for where to obtain this type of training, including many private CDE providers which host courses in hotel rooms or other similar locations. Here’s what sets the TUSDM course apart:
- The TUSDM course was created by a collaboration of board certified clinicians and experts in related fields (including maxillofacial surgeons, facial plastic surgeons, an anatomist, health related law attorneys, and insurance experts). It’s the only multidisciplinary facial cosmetic course under the auspices of Tufts University.
- The TUSDM course includes an innovative and extensive simulation lab that provides the opportunity to practice the techniques on both specially designed simulation heads and cadavers. It’s conducted in the Tufts Anatomy Lab under the direct supervision of facial cosmetic surgeons and a professor of anatomy.
- The simulation portion of the course is designed to give practitioners the ability to practice, understand and familiarize themselves with the techniques, under realistic conditions, before applying to real patients.
- The live patient care of the course is conducted in TUSDM’s state-of-the-art clinics, ensuring that patient safety is maintained and that participants receive an excellent clinical experience.
This 14 hour course is intended to fulfill the requirements of the Massachusetts BORID’s “Policy Advisory on the Use of Botulinum Toxins (Botox) and/or Dermal Fillers by Licensed Dentists” and combines online didactic material and a full-day in-person clinical and simulation session.
Participants will review facial esthetic assessment, standardized photographic documentation, anatomy, pharmacology, pathophysiology of facial aging, treatment planning, detailed technique analysis, product breakdown and analysis, strategies for avoidance and management of complications, legislature and liability issues, fee compensation options, and marketing strategies.
Module One (Online): Multidisciplinary didactics – The first 7 hours of the course will consist of online didactic material. In the weeks prior to the course, participants will be given electronic access to the teaching material, compiled and created by multidisciplinary faculty, and will be expected to review this material closely. Participants will be required to take an online exam in order to demonstrate comprehension of the material, and must pass this exam in order to attend the hands-on portion of the course. The online format will allow for more time to digest and absorb the information from the comfort of your home or office.
Module Two (On-Site): Hands-on cadaver and medical models training and live patient treatment. Instructed and supervised by multidisciplinary faculty. There will be a brief Q&A session, during breakfast, so participants can clarify any possible questions and uncertainties.
- Be able to provide proof of malpractice insurance
- Be registered to practice dentistry in a state that permits the use of botulinum toxin and dermal fillers by dentists
- Be able to provide one patient for hands-on procedures. For any trainees who are not able to bring a patient to treat, there will be a live demonstration by one of the faculty
- Patients must be informed of all associated risks and complications and provide signed patient consent forms for treatment
- Understand the process of conducting patient risk assessment in relation to cosmetic facial treatment
- Have reviewed material pertaining to facial analysis and treatment planning of facial cosmetic procedures
- Learn techniques and principles of facial cosmetic injections
- Review relevant legislature and liability coverage for these procedures