Course Full. Call 617-636-6629 to join waitlist.
A STANDARD-PROFICIENCY PRE-CERTIFICATION COURSE
Candidates who successfully complete this course can be eligible to receive a Certificate of Standard Proficiency in Dental Lasers recognized by the Academy of Laser Dentistry (ALD), an international organization with more than 1,200 members in more than 25 countries.*
ROBERT A. CONVISSAR, D.D.S. Director, Laser Dentistry, New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens, New York, NY; Evaluator, Clinical Research Associates, Utah; Fellow, Academy of General Dentistry; Fellow, American Society of Lasers in Medicine and Surgery
Has the hoopla surrounding the introduction of lasers to dentistry been more smoke than substance? Since 1990, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved the use of seven different wavelengths for dental use. These different wavelengths create a world of difference in terms of how the lasers operate and their usefulness in the oral cavity. The use of lasers for specific procedures found in everyday general practice will be highlighted in this hands-on course.
The first day will detail laser use in the following areas:
- Non-surgical periodontal therapy
- Surgical periodontal therapy (frenectomy, gingivectomy, etc.)
- Regenerative periodontal laser surgery
- Fixed prosthetics/cosmetics
- Removable prosthetics and preprosthetic care
- Implantology – presurgical, surgical, prosthetic and peri-implantitis
- Oral medicine/oral surgery/oral pathology
- Pediatric dentistry
- Operative dentistry
- Practice management/marketing
The second day workshop will give each participant hands-on experience with the various wavelengths, performing surgical procedures on in-vitro models. Real time videos of routine laser procedures will be part of the in-depth discussion of specific instrument settings and techniques for laser surgical procedures.
At the conclusion of the course, the participant will be familiar with the various wavelengths used in dentistry today, their effects on oral tissues, and their uses for specific oral diseases and pathologies found in everyday practice. They will be able to incorporate this knowledge into a basis for determining which laser wavelength is most appropriate for their practice, and be able to incorporate hard- and soft-tissue laser dentistry into their practices first thing tomorrow morning.
*Please note that the ALD has specific criteria and activities that MUST BE completed to receive the Certificate. ALD Certification will be issued as long as the participant has met the following criteria:
- Has taken a previous course in laser dentistry, or has taken the online laser dentistry course on the ALD Web site, or has downloaded and read the laser articles available from the Department of Continuing Education
- Owns a laser or has access to a laser
- Takes the online Standard Proficiency Text on the ALD Web site within 90 days of completing this course
Please visit the ALD Web site for complete details (www.laserdentistry.org).