Dean Thomas Welcomes Back Students

Greetings, and welcome to a new academic year at Tufts University School of Dental Medicine! I hope you have all had an interesting and relaxing summer.

Dean Huw Thomas (Credit: Alonso Nichols for Tufts University)

The start of a new academic year is always a special time – it’s a return to work unfinished, and a period of new beginnings and new challenges. It’s a dynamic time, full of renewed energy and passion for the job at hand. I am thrilled to start my third academic year at TUSDM and help foster the continued success of our school and Tufts University as a whole.

As a Tufts Dental student, it might take some time for you to re-acclimate to your hectic schedule; you might be taking part in classes, clinical rotations, research and community service, just to name a few possibilities. But as you might already know, TUSDM and Tufts University are here to support you throughout these challenges. The Tufts Student Advisory and Health Administration Office can offer short-term, confidential counseling or referrals. Tufts EthicsPoint provides students with ways to confidentially report unethical or inappropriate activity. Here at the school you have resources such as Dr. Robert Kasberg, the Associate Dean of Admissions and Student Affairs, Katherine Vosker, the Director of Student Affairs, course directors, practice coordinators, instructors and even your peers to look to when questions or problems arise. I too am a resource for you; I take pride in the fact that my office is open to all of our community members.

I’d also like to take the opportunity to welcome back our faculty and staff, who in many cases are also returning from some time away. Whether you were on leave or simply on vacation, we’re certainly happy to have you back with us.

Two weeks ago, TUSDM welcomed the D17 class and hosted orientation to kick off their first year in dental school. I encourage you to take the time to meet your new colleagues, and help them cement their place as members of the TUSDM community. Working together we can accomplish great things.

Again, welcome back! We’ve missed you. If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at huw.thomas@tufts.edu.