New Ortho Chair Brings Experience, Enthusiasm

Dr. Carroll Ann Trotman is no stranger to big moves. After growing up in the nation of Trinidad and Tobago, she crisscrossed both the United Kingdom and North America. Driven by her calling as an orthodontist and academic, she has lived in England, Scotland and Wales, New York City, Toronto, Michigan, a short stint in Seattle, North Carolina, and Maryland.

Boston’s next on the list.

COHRI
Dr. Carroll Ann Trotman

Dr. Trotman, currently a Professor of Orthodontics and Associate Dean for the Office of Academic Affairs at the University of Maryland School of Dentistry, will come to TUSDM to begin her appointment as Chair of the Department of Orthodontics on September 1. She said she hopes to add to the department’s already excellent reputation.

“I want to train not just the best orthodontists, but also future orthodontic faculty,” she said. “I have an opportunity to do that at Tufts.”

In terms of her plans for her new position, Dr. Trotman expressed a desire to build upon the department’s strengths. However, she said she would first like to take the opportunity to get to know the rest of the TUSDM community and orient herself to its place in the university at large.

“The first step when you start a position like this is to engage all the members of the department, and look at their past accomplishments and challenges,” she said. “I’d like us to look at what we’re already doing well, and what could use some improvements. I also want to make sure the department’s mission is aligning with the Dean’s vision and the mission of the university.”

In May of 2013, Dean Huw Thomas announced that Dr. Trotman would be taking the position, and she visited the campus and met with some faculty in late July. Among her observations about the school community, she mentioned the friendly reception she’s already received from her future colleagues, and the enthusiasm and support she has found within the department and from the outgoing Chair Dr. Barry Briss.

“People keep telling me about the ‘Tufts family,’” she said. “I can see it already – it’s been a nice reception so far. I also can see and really appreciate the strong alumni support within the orthodontic department. I want to continue to foster that interaction between the department and its alumni base.”

Dr. Trotman has worked at the University of Maryland since 2007, occupying several academic positions. Before Maryland, she held positions at the University of North Carolina (where she is still an adjunct) and the University of Michigan. She received her B.D.S. (equivalent of a D.D.S.) from the University of Dundee, Scotland in 1982. She also completed a Certificate in Orthodontics and an M.A. in Oral Biology from Columbia University, an M.S. in Clinical Research Design and Statistical Analysis from the University of Michigan, and Fellowships in Craniofacial Anomalies and Clinical Research from the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Canada, and the University of Seattle, respectively. Dr. Trotman is a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics and a member of the Angle Society. Her main research focus is on outcomes measures associated with the treatment of patients with cleft lip and palate and craniofacial anomalies, for which she has received support through the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. She also has conducted research on faculty work-life issues, and has a strong interest in faculty professional development.

“I want my background and my interests to work within Tufts,” she said. “I have tremendous passion for what I do.”

Dr. Trotman will be living in Charlestown when she completes her move to Boston. When she’s not working, she enjoys spending time with her dog, dining out, reading, and working out, and is even thinking about re-engaging in a previous passion: scuba diving.

“I’m extremely excited to come to Boston,” she said. “It seems like an exciting city with a lot going on.”