Any applicant accepted into Tufts University School of Dental Medicine must provide documentation for the State and University immunization requirements listed below. The School of Dental Medicine immunization deadline for the IS program is February 1st, DPG/MS deadline is April 15th and DMD deadline is June 3rd. Additional information and forms are sent to admitted students.
It may take several weeks to retrieve childhood immunization records. Therefore, we recommend that you begin gathering the required documentation. If you are currently enrolled in college, you should retrieve immunization documentation from your health services clinic prior to graduation. If it is impossible to obtain documentation of past immunizations, you must provide a positive antibody titer as proof of immunity or be vaccinated again. The following immunizations are required as a condition of matriculation:
- Tetanus Diphtheria Acellular Pertussis (Tdap): One dose of the adult Tdap vaccine is required, in lieu of Td booster. If current Td booster is less than two years old, wait to receive Tdap vaccine.
- Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR): Two doses of measles, mumps and rubella vaccine or positive antibody titers.
- Tuberculosis Test: Mantoux test given within one year prior to start date and updated annually. If tuberculin positive, documentation of a past positive test must be submitted. Additionally, if tuberculin positive, a chest X-ray or QuantiFERON-TB Gold Test is required within 1 year prior to start date.
- Varicella (chicken pox): Physician verification of year of disease, positive antibody titer, or two doses of vaccine.
- Hepatitis B: Three doses of hepatitis B vaccine and positive surface antibody titer (blood work). The Dental School requires testing for presence of infection prior to vaccination and testing for immunity once complete.
- The hepatitis B vaccine is a three-dose series, which takes six months to complete. For students who have not already started the series, documentation for two doses of the vaccine must be submitted by your program immunization deadline, with a hepatitis B surface antigen titer (blood work).
- Meningococcal: One dose of vaccine within the past five years of start date or completion of State Waiver Form.
Influenza: Annual Seasonal Influenza vaccine or a signed declination form is required for all students.
Antibody Titer Laboratory reports must be submitted with other immunization documentation. The Dental School Immunization Form is available on the Student Advisory & Health Administration Office (SAHA) website.
If you have any questions about the requirements please call the Student Advisory & Health Administration at (617) 636-2712 or email Lucia Fenney, Immunization Administrator.