Tufts University School of Dental Medicine was established in 1868 as Boston Dental College. It was incorporated into Tufts College in 1899. Although founded as a school to educate students from New England, today Tufts is renowned throughout the United States and the world as a center for academic and clinical excellence. Tufts boasts over 7,000 alumni composed of individuals from all fifty states and thirty-nine countries. The majority of the alumni outside of the USA have completed an Advanced Education Certificate program. Students receive a comprehensive education emphasizing the importance of didactic coursework, clinical experience, and practice management that prepares them to enter the work force as confident, proficient clinicians.
How to Apply
Use the PASS application when applying to the Advanced Education in Esthetic and Operative Dentistry, AEGD, Endodontics, GPR, OMS, Oral Medicine, Orthodontics, Pediatric Dentistry, Periodontology or Prosthodontic programs
Utilize the Tufts Direct application when applying to the Advanced Dental Technology, CM Disorders and Orofacial Pain, Dental Sleep Medicine, Implant Dentistry or Oral Medicine programs.
Tufts offers accredited advanced education programs in the following:
- Advanced Education in General Dentistry – 1 year
- Endodontics – 2 years
- General Practice Residency – 1 year
- Master of Science in Dental Research - 2 years (Masters only)
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery – 4 years
- Oral Medicine – 2 years
- Orthodontics – 2 years (3 with Master of Science)
- Pediatric Dentistry – 2 years
- Periodontology – 3 years
- Prosthodontics – 3 years
All programs lead to a Certificate of Achievement in the respective specialty. Most instruction takes place at TUSDM’s Boston campus and affiliated hospitals and institutions (with the exception of the AEGD Maine track).
The following specialty programs also offer a Certificate of Achievement:
- Craniomandibular Disorders and Orofacial Pain - 2 years (3 years with Master of Science)
- Advanced Dental Technology and Research Program – 2 years (if full time)
- Advanced Education in Esthetic and Operative Dentistry – 2 years
The following specialty fellowship programs are also available and lead to a Fellowship Certificate of Achievement.
In addition to the fellowship programs there is a One Year Oral Surgery internship