The department also offers a one-year pre-residency internship in Oral Surgery. This program offers extensive clinical experience in patient management, outpatient oral surgical procedures, intravenous sedation and general anesthesia techniques. The intern is fully integrated in the residency program and their responsibilities are the same as the first year resident in the 4 year program. The intern is required to attend all lectures, seminars, and conferences, along with the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery residents.
The deadline for application to this one year program is January 15th for consideration for matriculation on July 1st of the same year. Please submit 3 letters of recommendation, a CV, Dental school transcript and personal statement to Ms. Marilyn Peterson (One Kneeland Street, DHS-503, Boston, MA 02111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org). International students will be considered for this position and must fulfill the minimum score requirements for TOEFL or IELTS.
The department also offers a 2 to 4 week pre-doctoral externship for dental students to gain in-depth experience in oral and maxillofacial surgery beyond the dental school curriculum.
Selection of applicants is based on merit (National Board Scores, OMFS course/clinic grade, previous OMFS externships, research, publications, presentations, etc).There are 2 positions for externs at any given time. More positions may be assigned during certain weeks, at the discretion of the course director.
Applicants are required to send the following documents to:
David J. Chang, D.M.D.
Predoctoral Program Director
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
One Kneeland Street
Boston, MA 02111.
- Current CV
- Dental School transcripts
- Proof of malpractice insurance coverage (if the student-applicant is not covered by his or her university or the graduate-applicant is not self-covered for malpractice, then the externship is still possible as an observation experience only [no hands-on]).
- 2 Letters of recommendation from the Dean of Student Affairs and/or OMFS course director of the applicant’s School of Dental Medicine.
- Letter of intent (up to 200 words) including the preferable dates (weeks) for the externship.
- Immunization/health record
- Proof of Health Insurance
- Proof of CPR training
- Photo ID/US driver’s license or Passport
For more information please contact Marilyn Peterson at email@example.com.