Department of Diagnostic Sciences consists of four Divisions to serve the public in addition to Tufts Dental School. The Chairman is Professor Michael A. Kahn, DDS who also serves as the Laboratory Director of Tufts Oral Pathology Services. The Department is responsible for teaching, research, and service for a variety of head and neck pathologies with emphasis on diseases of the mouth, jaws, TMJ (temporomandibular joint), and oral manifestations of bodily disease.
Craniofacial Pain Division
Interim Director, Shuchi Dhadwal, BDS
This clinical discipline of dentistry at Tufts is involved with a variety of conditions that cause head and neck pain including TMJ, migraines, and sleep disorders. In addition to providing teaching and research, patient services include:
- Diagnosis and Management of complex pain of the head and neck by a team of dentists and medical specialists
- Treatment of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome
- Diagnosis and management of complex headache and related disorders
Director, J. Michael Hall, DDS
This is the ADA–recognized clinical specialty of dentistry that primarily deals with the diagnosis of both jaw and mouth diseases by microscopic examination of a biopsy procedure. In addition to teaching dental students, dental specialists and general dentists, patient services include:
- Microscopic diagnosis of biopsy specimens received in the school and from dentists in private practice at Tufts Oral Pathology Services (TOPS).
- Clinical referrals to an oral pathologist from dentists who seek the opinion and advice for diagnosis and management of their patient’s oral disease. These consultation appointments are scheduled with Tufts Dental Associates (faculty practice) at (617) 636-6697.
Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology Division
Director, Aruna Ramesh, DMD
Director, Athena Papas, DMD, PhD
This clinical discipline of dentistry at Tufts is particularly involved in managing the medically compromised patient particularly those who suffer head and neck cancer treatment side effects such as dry mouth and mouth sores. In addition to performing research and teaching dental students and dentists this division serves patients by:
- Management of mouth and dental treatment for very high-risk cavities
- Dental management of patients with systemic medical conditions such as kidney disease, diabetes, cancer, HIV/AIDS
- Dental management of patients who have undergone bone marrow transplants
- Dental management of patients who suffer dry mouth and conditions such as Sjogren’s syndrome