The Tufts University Advanced Education in General Dentistry Program (AEGD) was founded in 2014. It is conducted with the cooperation and participation of its sponsoring institutions, Tufts University School of Dental Medicine (TUSDM) and Maine Medical Center (MMC) and its major affiliated institution, Community Dental (CD) and Tufts Dental Facilities (TDF). There are six positions available in this one-year program; three positions are situated in Boston and three are situated in Maine.
The Boston-based residents receive clinical instruction primarily at Tufts University School of Dental Medicine. Training emphasizes general dentistry including diagnosis and treatment planning, preventive dentistry, restorative dentistry, oral surgery, periodontal treatment, and endodontics for the general population. Residents also receive instruction through Tufts Dental Facilities in treating patients with multiple disabilities and limitations. For more information about locations in Boston, please see links below:
The rotations provide the residents with diverse clinical and educational experiences. The Maine-based residents receive clinical instruction at Community Dental clinics in Portland, Biddeford, and Lewiston. Training emphasizes general dentistry including diagnosis and treatment planning, preventive dentistry, restorative dentistry, oral surgery, periodontal treatment, and endodontics for the general population. Additionally, residents treat patients with multiple disabilities and limitations and pediatric patients at Community Dental clinics. For more information about locations in Maine, please see links below:
The didactic portion of the AEGD program is conducted throughout the year. The program includes continuing education courses given at the University, at Community Dental and at other institutions. Residents participate in weekly patient care conferences (including guest lectures) both in-person and through a distance-learning website created for the program. Emphasis is placed on ideal, alternative, and actual treatment planning via case presentations for both dental and medical management for all patient populations.
The goals and objectives of the Tufts AEGD will prepare graduates to become an important part of the communities they choose to serve. Emphasized goals prepare practitioners to
- act as a primary care provider for individuals and for groups of patients;
- apply their exposure to advanced dental treatment modalities to the practice of dentistry;
- have a working knowledge of developmental disabilities, mental illness, and physical disabilities and the impact these conditions have on the provision of comprehensive dental care;
- function effectively within health care environments;
- function effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary health care team;
- provide emergency oral health care;
- promote disease prevention and oral health promotion for patients in the clinical environment as well as the community;
- manage the delivery of oral health care by applying concepts of patient and practice management;
- understand the fundamentals of quality care and the concept of quality assurance;
- apply scientific principles to learning and oral health care;
- utilize the values of professional ethics, patient’s rights, lifelong learning, patient centered care, adaptability, and acceptance of cultural diversity in professional practice.
Each trimester, faculty members review individual personal and professional goals specifically designed by each resident. Each resident is able to focus on his/her own needs and interests in dentistry and medicine and to further enhance the variety of definitions he/she may consider necessary to be successful in post-graduate training.
Applicants must be graduates of an ADA accredited dental school. Applicants must apply through ADEA PASS and must participate in the Postdoctoral National Dental Match. For more on how to apply, please click here.
Please submit all materials to:
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
Office of Admissions-15th Floor
1 Kneeland Street
Boston, MA 02111