Tufts offers accredited postdoctoral programs in Endodontics, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthodontics, Pediatric Dentistry, Periodontology, and Prosthodontics. The programs lead to a certificate of achievement in the respective specialty. The majority of instruction occurs at Tufts University School of Dental Medicine in Boston and the facilities of affiliated hospitals and institutions. All the programs received full accreditation in April 2008. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery was reaccredited in May 2011.
In addition, Tufts supports an accredited General Practice Residency (GPR) program in dentistry in affiliation with Tufts Medical Center and Tufts Dental Facility for Persons with Special Needs. Individuals also have the option of applying for postdoctoral study and clinical training in Esthetic Dentistry, Implant Dentistry, Craniomandibular Disorders and Orofacial Pain, and Advanced Dental Technology and Research. Finally, Tufts offers a Master of Science in Dental Research. Students may combine the Master of Science program with a postdoctoral program.
The university grants the certificate of achievement through the School of Dental Medicine and the Master of Science degree through the Board of Trustees. All of the programs give the dentist the opportunity to become a dental specialist, qualified teacher, and research investigator.
Tufts offers accredited advanced education programs in the following:
- Advanced Education in General Dentistry – 1 year
- Endodontics – 2 years
- General Practice Residency – 1 year
- Master of Science in Dental Resarch – 2 years
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery – 4 years
- Oral Medicine – 2 years
- Orthodontics – 2 years (3 years with Master of Science)
- Pediatric Dentistry – 2 years
- Periodontology – 3 years
- Prosthodontics – 3 years
The following specialty programs offer a Certificate of Achievement:
The following specialty fellowship programs lead to a Fellowship Certificate of Achievement.
- Advanced Digital Prosthodontics and Implant Fellowship – 1 year
- Dental Education Learning and Teaching Academy (D.E.L.T.A.) Fellowship – 1 year
- Dental Sleep Medicine Fellowship – 1 year
- Implant Dentistry Fellowship – 1 year Fellowship or Certificate 2 years
In addition to the fellowship programs, there is a One Year Oral Surgery internship.