ADEA is a national organization that leads the dental education community to address contemporary issues in dental academics. Every dental school in the US and Canada are member institutions of ADEA. The ADEA is composed of several different Councils that function together. The Council of Students is the part of ADEA that serves as the national voice of students in this organization. Membership institutions are encouraged to maintain 2-4 student delegates to serve in the Council of Students.
The Mission of the American Dental Education Association (ADEA) is to lead individuals and institutions of the dental education community to address contemporary issues influencing education, research, and the delivery of oral health care for the improvement of the health of the public. The Mission of the ADEA Council of Students (COS) is to serve as the national voice and advocate for all students in the dental education community by addressing the issues that shape the present and future of dental education.
The Core Values of ADEA are:
- Promoting and Improving Excellence in All Aspects of Dental Education.
- Building Partnerships in Support of and Advocating for the Needs of Dental Education.
- Serving the Individual Needs of Members and Institutions.
- Encouraging Communication and Sharing of Information Among the Association’s Members.
- Expanding the Diversity of Dental Education.
- Recognizing the Needs of Those the Association Serves.
- Promoting Oral Health.
Current Issue being addressed by the ADEA include: careers in academia, diversity in dentistry, national licensure examination reform, distance learning, curriculum reform, and access to care.
As a student representative from our school you would have the opportunity to travel to one of the two annual meetings with another class representative to meet with students from other schools, share your experiences, and take part in discussions regarding current issues.